Thursday, May 22, 2008

Characters

I've had a particular character on my mind lately. He's cute as hell, shy, and at 26, he's a virgin (only ever kissed). Now, yeah, most folks would raise an eyebrow at a 26-year-old guy being a virgin...until they learn that he's autistic.

Wes Hines is someone very close to my heart. I've been working on his story off and on for a while, but kept it under wraps. A part of me worries if I'll be able to do him justice, I admit. I finally let him out to the public during my Tuesday on the Torquere Social LJ. The response I received overwhelmed me. I knew I loved him dearly, but as always, I wasn't sure how others would perceive him.

Have you ever written/read a character who was like that? Who was out of the usual mainstream, yet was so strong, he couldn't be denied?

1 comment:

Mary M. said...

Mychael, that sounds wonderful! The only romance character (not M/M) I can think of who was a little similar was the hero of Colleen McCullough's novel TIM. Tim was 25, looked like a Greek god and was mentally retarded. Not like a 5-year-old, but maybe a young teen. Tim was naive and unexperienced, but he had such a need and a capacity for love it made my throat tight. This was a unique romance and Mary, the stern older woman he ended up with, was an incongruous yet utterly perfect match for him. TIM is one of my all-time favorite books so I am really lookinf forward to what you can do with your autistic character.

Related Posts with Thumbnails