Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Rec

Last week I read a book that I absolutely fell in love with. RW Day's A Strong and Sudden Thaw was a moving and riveting coming of age/gay romance/sci-fi-ish adventure. The story takes place in Virginia about 100 years after a second ice age (approximately the 22nd or 23rd century). So even though it's the future, in this world people are living more like pioneers. Teenaged David is a farmer's son whose life is turned upside down when he meets Callan, the new 23-year-old healer in town.

Aside from the cold, the community is struggling with a dragon problem -- wait, don't stop reading! Honestly, I'm not big on fantasy at all, but the fantasy elements worked so, so well. I probably would never have bought this book if it hadn't been recommended, and I'm so glad I listened to my friend's glowing praise. I just can't tell you how much I loved this book. I found myself going back and rereading certain passages as I went along, which is something I rarely do the first time I read a book.

David is one of my favourite fictional characters in some time. So empathetic and brave, and it was simply magical to read about his discovery of feelings for Callan -- and the discovery of his true self. I loved Callan, too, and I really hope the rumours I've heard of a sequel are true.

I can't remember the last time I've seen the stirrings of first love portrayed so beautifully. Day has a way of turning a phrase perfectly, and this book was by turns poignant, romantic, thrilling and completely heartbreaking. (Don't worry, my inner sap was very happy with the ending.) Absolutely the best book I've read this year.

3 comments:

Amanda Young said...

You know, I've thought about buying this book a time or two, but I read somewhere that the end was...um...not HEV. I get very pissy if I don't have a happy ending. lol

Keira Andrews said...

But it's totally a happy ending! I mean, there are some dragon/government plot issues that aren't resolved, but as far as David and Callan go, it's totally HEV. They go through tragedy to get there, but they're 100% together in the end.

I require a happy ending, believe me!

Amanda Young said...

Maybe I misunderstood then. Hmm. Thanks for the rec. I'll add it tomy buy list. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails