Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Current Obsession

For some reason that might have to do with migraine medication and lack of sleep, I was going over my list of projects for 2009 (so far) and noticed there was a really consistent theme that underlaid quite a few of them. So consistent and clear I felt like an idiot for not really consciously paying attention to it before.

Guess I could claim I planned it... nah, no one that knows me would believe that.

My current obsession seems to be "Don't believe the surface" :)

There's my erotic chocolatier who is not nearly as tough as his tattoos, muscles and motorcycle would seem to imply. He's rather a soft-center or truffle, really. A nice creamy one... ummm, right, back to the subject at hand.

There's a little sniper who is deadly and feared, but caretakes the man he loves.

There's a kilt-wearing shape-shifting black dragon that is sent to kill but hates it every time.

How about my celtic fiddler who turns out to be a classically trained violinist - and gay.

When I told Mr. Maura this eureka realization, he looked at me like I'd lost what little brains the migraine meds leave me with and said "You JUST figured that out?" Then he went off to get me some Diet Coke - I think he's hoping the caffeine will reconnect a few brain cells.

I still have a lot of love, compassion and forgiveness in these stories but it does make me wonder what pattens other people see that I don't. Anyone care to whap me upside the head with things you've noticed about my writing.

2 comments:

K.A. Mitchell said...

Oh man, those migraine meds. I sometimes have to be reminded I took one because otherwise I think there's something really wrong with me.

I love how we turn to recurring themes without even realizing it. I've written a lot of characters with older brother issues and um, I don't have an older brother, or sister. I wonder what issues I'm working through.

Maura Anderson said...

It does make you wonder, doesn't it? I keep trying to think of what sparked it but I can't come up with anything concrete.

Guess I'll just go with the flow.

Related Posts with Thumbnails