Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy Tuesday!

I was thinking about how I should probably post something about romance and Valentine's Day since yesterday was the 14th. But here's the thing, I don't like Valentine's Day. It's not that I eschew the day and wear black to make a statement (anymore). It's just that I follow something akin to my mother's philosophy. Every year she says, and has said for as long as I can remember, "Don't be nice to me because it's Mother's Day. Be nice to me every day." That's how I feel about Valentine's Day. Don't say "I love you" to the one you love because it's Valentine's Day. Say it to that person every day. Valentine's, IMO, is like some magical free pass that lets people off the hook for not being thoughtful or romantic the other 364 days of the year. To this I cry, "Bullshit!" You don't need flowers and chocolates every day, but you do deserve an expression of affection every day. Whether it's an unexpected trip to the movies or just the person who doesn't usually do the laundry doing the laundry. Hell, it could be something as simple as remembering to put the toilet seat down. You know what I'm saying? It's the little expressions of love that mean the most and one day a year of hearts and flowers doesn't cut it.

Now, ironically, the novella I have coming out soon, Compass Hearts, was originally written for a Valentine-themed anthology. It wasn't accepted for that, which is good in the long run. It's hard to write something Valentiney when your universe doesn't have Valentine's Day. If you want to learn more about Compass Hearts, then make sure to join me on Coffee Time Romance's Erotic E-loop Yahoo Group. Follow the link to sign up if you aren't already a member of the group. I'll be chatting on Friday 25 February from 10-12 PST (1-3 EST). There will be excerpts of all my books and there will be prizes. So come join me for a bit of Caffeinated Fantasy!

1 comment:

Kate Davies said...

Wordy McWord! We're not big on Valentine's Day in the Davies household, for all of the same reasons. :) Though I did make an extra-nice dinner last night, or at least I tried, until I discovered too late the difference between chicken cutlets and boneless skinless chicken breasts. One cooks a LOT faster than the other. Sigh.

Related Posts with Thumbnails