Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Whether the weather be cold...

...Or whether the weather be hot,
We'll be together, whatever the weather,
Whether we like it or not.

It's bizarre how much influence the weather can have on my creativity and productivity.  Just a few months ago (seriously, I'm talking May), I was desperate for some sunshine and its precious vitamin D to lift me out of my funk and spark a bit of creative energy in me. We finally got some and it did what I needed it to do. I finished a novel that had been stalled out for over two years and started another one that is currently in a holding pattern while I work to finish last year's NaNoWriMo novel before November. That's not too damned bad. And yet today, when I awoke to a low overcast and temperatures back down from the mid-80s to the mid-60s, my little brain went "Oo! Time to sit down and do some writing!" Clearly my creativity has as limited a short-term memory as the rest of my brain does to have forgotten so soon how it needed that sunshine to function.

So tell me, for those who write, does the weather have any effect on your writing habits? Does it inspire you to work more or less, or to work on a specific genre in a specific season? And for you readers, does the temperature, etc., affect your choice of reading material?

2 comments:

tracykitnreads said...

Extremes of weather definitely can affect what I decide to read. Even with A/C, when it's high summer (which lasts for-freaking-EVER here in GA) I crave light and fluffy. And in winter or during major storms, I want the literary equivalent of comfort food (I read a lot of Louisa May Alcott and Mercedes Lackey from Dec-Feb). But in the in-between times (Mar/Apr and Oct/Nov) I like stuff I can really sink my teeth in, sometimes smart non-fiction but sometimes rich and complex romance.

And sometimes I run across an author who can make me think even when it's too hot, make me crave the discomfort even as I lean toward cozy hibernation...

Maia Strong said...

I am so with you on light and fluffy summer reading! I like the idea of literary comfort food, too. That would have to be The Lord of the Rings for me. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails